What you should know
On this page
Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation
The Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation is the philanthropic arm of our company. Its overriding purpose is to improve the physical, social and economic well-being of the communities served by Dominion Energy. The Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) charity governed by a board of directors consisting of Dominion Energy officers and staff. A corporate group of regional Community Investment Boards advises the Foundation board, assisting with grant proposal reviews and making recommendations.
Here are some of the areas we focus on:
- Human needs grants that support increased food security, housing and shelter, and access to basic medical and health care;
- Environmental stewardship grants to protect natural resources and help non-profit organizations make efficient use of energy;
- Education grants to develop the capacity of the future workforce, especially in STEM and energy fields; and
- Community vitality grants to foster an appreciation of diversity, revitalize neighborhoods and ensure a vibrant community through support of cultural endeavors.
The Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation has a dollar-for-dollar funds-matching program to encourage our employees and retirees to support eligible non-profit organizations where they live and work. Employees and retirees can request matching gifts of up to $5,000 per calendar year.
To encourage community service, any employee or retiree who (a) serves on the board of directors of a qualified recipient organization or who (b) gives at least 50 hours of volunteer service per year to that organization can request a 2-for-1 match of a gift once each calendar year.
Last year the company sponsored more than 300 events, which were attended by more than 1.5 million people. These include:
- Dominion Energy Riverrock, the nation’s premier outdoor sports and music festival;
- Dominion Energy Garden of Lights, held at the Botanical Garden in Norfolk; and
- The Dominion Energy Charity Classic — the first of three PGA TOUR Champions season-ending playoff events to determine the annual Charles Schwab Cup Champion. The Charity Classic has raised more than $1.8 million for charity in just three years. In 2018, Dominion Energy announced it would continue to be the event’s title sponsor through 2029.
In addition to contributing financially to the multitude of existing worthy causes, Dominion Energy also has been moved to launch its own signature programs as well. These include:
Project Plant It!
An educational program designed by Dominion Energy that distributes tree seedlings to schools and organizations throughout the company’s footprint. In 2018, the program reached a milestone when it surpassed half a million seedlings distributed. If all the seedlings are planted and grow to maturity, they would equal roughly 1,250 acres of forest.
Solar for Students
As Dominion Energy expands its solar infrastructure, the company also gives students the chance to learn more about how solar energy works. The Solar for Students program provides schools and educational organizations with 1.2-kilowatt solar panels, along with educational information and training material for educators. In 2018, the Foundation expanded Solar for Students to a total of 18 sites.
Strong Men & Women in Virginia History
In partnership with the Library of Virginia, Strong Men & Women honors the achievements of African-American trailblazers who helped move Virginia forward. The program includes a student essay contest and provides resources for schools and libraries.
Community Impact Awards
Made in partnership with Cleveland Magazine, these awards recognize nonprofits for their work in economic or social revitalization. Over the past 24 years, $1.8 million in grants have been distributed through the awards.